Friday, August 1, 2008

Update on Using the USB mic


Word up! Necessity is the motivating factor for possible change.
Is that too heavy? Let me explain what happened. I got a call from the production crew that we needed a VO for a charity event spot for TV. I did a final edit on the copy a week or so ago and just got busy with higher paying work. (I can’t believe I’m telling you this much.) Well dude, we need the spot NOW!
It was too late to have the lady doing the VO to come to my studio. All the cameras were tied up on other projects so we couldn’t just record straight into the camera and lift the track. I really didn’t want to use my old radio recording gear because I really wanted more editing control and I felt there had to be a better way to control quality.
Now I am desperate. I had to get it now!
Last week, I inherited my wife’s two year old laptop. I paid someone to clean all the crapware off and try to straighten up the files and system. It’s still loaded with lots of unnecessary stuff. But it’s mine. I had loaded Cool Edit Pro 2 on it long ago (just in case) and now was the time or special case to try it.
I didn’t want to unplug one of our digital interfaces and use the amps in the interface with perhaps the Sennheiser MKH416 all running into the laptop….unless I had too.
Wait a minute. I still have the MXL USB008. Theoretically, that’s all I should need. No time to worry about it—I’ve got to go.
OK. I have to appear to be the consummate professional acting like I do this every day.
Plug in the mic to the computer. Pull up the software and produce.
Right off the bat I realized that I forgot my sound-box. Her office is the quietest in the building. You will still hear some room noise and sound bounce.
The lady is on the board of directors of this charity and does her own spots on camera for her company. I knew if she felt comfortable, she would have no problem with the spot.

OK. Here is the unmixed file:

I am tickled. I will perfect my smoothness factor and this may be one of my main portable setups. And YES...I will be using my Sound Box from now on.

No comments: