Sunday, August 17, 2008

A portable recorder setup test....(a good one, too.)

Malo Sal wrote:

Hey Willie,
Here is one of the sound tests I wanted to show your fans.
The first part is a rode nt1-a plugged into my Zoom H4, and the second part is the same reading using the Zoom H2 internal mics set to "90 degrees front" mode.
In my opinion, this shows how excellent the H2 is and how it is an excellent solution for portable recording, since no wires are needed for any external mic, and seeing that it fits on the palm of your hand.
The clips were originally recorded in 48 khz 16 bit and were converted in vegas video to 320 kbs mp3 of the highest quality setting I could find.

Thanks, and I welcome your professional input!

Rode NT-1 into Zoom H4/straight into Zoom H2

Thanks, Malo. Great job. Like everyone, I have been watching the rapid improvement in portable recorders with a keen eye. (I am actually shopping.)
Your test answers (or confuses) one of the main questions I have been wondering. "What difference does plugging in a high quality mic make in the final sound file?" You made an impressive demonstration. The XLR connected preamps in the Zoom H4 sound pretty good with the Rode. But the H2 on-board mics are very impressive.

If you put the files on a graph, you can see the difference. The Rode/H4 combo picks up a little more noise, but it is supposed to pick up more of everything.

The H2 sounds great. It's hard to believe you can get that clean sound from a self-contained, handheld recorder.

Anyone else using similar set-ups, let us know what works for you.
Would you believe that I have recorded many hour-long radio broadcasts with a Heil PR20 plugged into an Olympus W200 voice recorder? I'll tell you the secret to making it work if you ask me.....but hey, why bother when you can get the new recorders that sound so good out right.

1 comment:

Poppy said...

more great sound tests!!!
Audio Technica 835b versus the Sennheiser MKH 416

http://soundcloud.com/malospam/416835bledge

Sennheiser mkh 416, a hollywood standard VO mic and boom mic ($1000) versus an OSP STM1300 (250$). Both plugged into a zoom H4n, no pop filter used sorry about that, 6 inches away from my mouth, no processing. Is it worth the price difference for this application? I also have a test from 12" that I will upload soon. Let us know your thoughts.

http://soundcloud.com/malospam/mkh416vsosp-stm1300-6inches


Can you make this as a new post?