Saturday, August 1, 2009

Finally Got Those Audio Technica Tests

Once upon a time when I was juggling between different format radio stations, our production director arranged to produce our image liners at a nearby pro recording studio (I don't know why--he thought it was a cool thing to do and it got us out of the office). From that experience he decided that if you wanted to do "high end" voiceovers, you absolutely had to use Audio Technica mics.

I appreciated his opinion (the liners did sound great) but I forbade bringing any ATs into the stations because I felt LDC mics were way to sensitive for screaming or otherwise DJs to use for general production.

So, when we started the VO Mic Test page, the first requests were for AT mics.
Now, finally, we have a couple of excellent examples from Daniel Wright.
He really sounds great on both the 4040 and the 4047 SV. I really like the sound of his voice on the 4040. I can tell the 4047 may be more flexible in different situations. Is there $500 difference? There is if you can use the ultimate capabilities of each mic.

UPDATE: We still haven't received a replacement for the ADK Hamburg II test. Nor a suggested ADK VO mic. We'll keep you updated.

1 comment:

vomictest said...

By the way... I have been able to use several Audio Technica mics--primarily their shotguns, with a video production we have been working with over the past serveral months. I am VERY impressed. I am not saying the ATs are BETTER than my Senn 416--just different.