Tuesday, March 18, 2008

ADK vs RED. Head-to-head.

Have you ever had an itch that you just can't seem to scratch? Josh Mahler and I must have the same itch. No matter what mic we try; no matter how great we sound on any particular mic; we have to hear the next best one. It's not an obsession, it's professional curiosity.........well.......maybe a little obsession.

Josh had his eye on a top-rated mic with a great reputation--the ADK Hamburg II AU. I have always wanted to try this series in an open test because I expected great things from Larry Villella's "kick it up a notch" ADK Custom Shop. I have musician buddies that use this mic and consider it "the end".. the last mic they'll ever buy.

Wellll....let's see. Josh probably heard some of the same raves and got ahold of a Hamburg II and put it up against his latest power tool, the Red with the R8 capsule. Oh, he attached a note:

Here is a sample of the ADK Hamburg II AU. I also recorded another sample of the Red in the exact same position with the same settings as the ADK to give a more realistic comparison of the 2 mics.

I'll keep my opinion to myself for now as to not skew your opinion as to which you think sounds better, and why. Please let me know your thoughts.

ADK vs RED 8

OK....Let us know what you are thinking. Which one do you like?

No comments: