Monday, January 14, 2008

Fast & Furious

I knew it would happen. I have great news to share, new mic tests to post and tons on the way. But--my company is signing on a new Cable TV Lease Access Channel tomorrow night and I need to fill in some production holes right away.
In the meantime....You may notice John Weeks comparison of his Neumann TLM-103 condenser to his Cascade Fathead ribbon.
Wait a minute--there's almost an $800 to $1000 difference between those two mics. OK, do you hear that much difference?
I have used ribbon mics for many years. Everything from RCA DX77's and 44's to some of the newer chinese ribbons. They are alright, but have a little "sheen" on my voice that makes me prefer other choices besides ribbons. They seem wonderful for long narrations. Tell me what you think of his test.

I can't wait to show you the new mics we received to test today...should I tell you now--or wait and just post the tests?
Let me put a little more heat in the transistors (notice I didn't say tubes) and I promise a test this week....Hey, I promise several tests.
And don't forget....we expect more updates on new things for you and me from the NAMM show.
VO MIC TESTS

1 comment:

Poppy said...

I thought there was a big difference, the tlm was far superior. However if you compare the tlm to say the rode nt1-a i think the diff is negligible.