Sunday, January 27, 2008

Build Your Own Sound Absorbing Panels

You already know I am not the handiest dude in the shop....but my wife--now that's another deal. She got excited when I bought her a custom set of portable power-tools one Christmas. (I don't recommend that fellows.)
I am a theorist. I come up with ideas, figure things out. What's the shortest distance from here to there. I have been studying sound absorbing materials and design with an idea to finally get the downstairs VO booth to sound a little cleaner. I have been gathering materials for quite a while.
Well, it happened. My wife got tired of waiting for me to build the panels I had been describing for so long--she decided to start building them herself. (Something about, "I'm sick of looking at this crap lying around. Go ahead and do something with it or I'm throwing it out.")
Two hours and six panels later--They are fantastic!
I will post a before and after sound check later. You have to check this out for your self.
Build Your Own Sound Panels...Click Here.
Send me you questions.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your panels look great! And I'm sure they made a huge difference in the sound. Awesome work, thanks so much for sharing it.

Liz de Nesnera said...

Don't you love a woman with a tool belt! (I too came into the marriage with the toolbox ;-)
Those panels look AWESOME!
Nice job!!!!

Liz

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for posting this - I'm just wondering how necessary it is to use sound panels?

I do voice overs with a dynamic mic - right in front of my P.C. and they turn out pretty darn good.

I'm just curious what other people are doing?

Anonymous said...

I'm curious... do you think that you could put cork on the outward facing side and cover that with fabric... I've heard of a lot of sound absorbing panels being able to double as pin-boards and whatnot. Just a thought, but I have no idea of the ultimate effect, ya know?

vomictest said...

Thanks SG, I wondered the same thing. It sure would be handy to tack copy on while you're reading.
The purpose of the fabric covered insulation is to asborb sound. The harder surface of the cork-board in front of the insulation may reflect some sound. There is no doubt that it would still help with sound deadening...but will it be enough? I say try a cork-board sandwich and give it a try. Remember your backer board needs to be dense enough to hold the staples.
Let us know how it works. WE

Merita said...

This looks REALLY SIMPLE! Great, something that I don't have to nag my husband to do, I'll just take on myself..LoL.
Few questions though,

I play the drums, so that's what I need the sound abdsorbtion for. How well do these work?

How much did making these yourself save you in comparison to having purhased something that's already made or just maybe some of that foam stuff?

One more, I've got an autographed guitar I was thinking of mounting on one of the panels, that won't alter the effect of it will it?

Anonymous said...

The acoustic panels look great, very easily and inexpensively done. for anyone wanting to copy this method I think its better if you use a simple frame and place the owens corning or whatever core your going to use inside the frame. This way you can use a better type of fabric like micro sued, have the fabric wrapped tightly over the framework. You'll end up with a much more defined look for the panels.