Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Wrapped Up in Cables.

Posted on the VO-BB site:
I am always thankful for good service and advice. I needed new mic cables. Redco was highly recommended so I sent them a note:


Quote from me to Redco:
"I need two balanced mic lines. One for my home VO studio from phantom pre-amp to my large condenser mic or my Sennheiser 416. 20ft. I would like higher quality if it makes a difference. XLR-F/M. The other line I need is for on-location TV shoots. 25ft, XLR F/M. Hand-held dynamic to camera, or Sennheiser 416 (phantom powered) to camera...often on boom pole. I would like this line to be easy to handle and durable."

Quote from Redco to me:
"For the mic lines I would recommend the Gotham Audio GAC-3, very good high quality cable. I would recommend our TGS-QD Quad mic cable for the boom pole cable. It is flexible, but has a durable jacket and sleeving. Thanks, Chris Stubbs Redco Audio P800-572-7280
chris@redco.com"

I would have never believed that mic line could make such a difference. It is an obvious difference. My old line was the regular grade we all used for years. I understand that Gotham used to be the house brand for Neumann and it's great. The TGS-QD is Redco's house brand and it is made from Canarae wire. The TGS is fantastic for the use I am putting it through. My videographer noticed an improvement the moment we used it. I guess my appreciative rant is more about improving sound quality with the right cable as much as the excellent service from Chris and Redco.


Willie,

I was cruising the VO-BB site and hit your comment on cables. I'm so with you on how critical cables are in the chain. I've done comparisons and they can make a world of difference, especially if you're going from ultra-cheap to quality Mogami or Canare. I started building my own a few years back. I'm a pretty regular Redco customer. The cable that seems to be the most cost effective for me is the Canare Quad Mic Cable (plus it comes in several colors). Neutrik connectors are pretty much standard fair through the studio.

I've heard the Blue cables are excellent along with Mogami.

When folks start thinking about putting the big bucks into a mic or mic pre, they'd be well advised to invest in quality cables, too.

Would a cable shootout border on (or cross over to) anal-retentive?

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve.

Yes, judging the difference good cables make must be very subjective because so many "experts" will argue the point. Like you, I just know what sounds better to me. I would love for someone with the right test gear to do a comparison of any measurable differences between professional cables. I am sure there would be a noticeable difference between low-end and higher quality. I appreciate when companies like Redco tell you when the minute differences in various cable construction will make a difference for your particular needs.
Maybe someone can figure out a way to do that cable shoot-out. VoMicTest

No comments: