Thursday, November 1, 2007

Starting Somthing

OK gang. While we wait for the turn-around in our first test, let's talk among ourselves.
I believe the Heil PR-40 is the dynamic version of the Neumann U87. "Willie--You're out of your mind. Those mics have nothing to do with each other." Let me `splain.
I thought seriously about entering the Neumann Anniversary Video contest where you do a video describing your favorite experiences with the U87. In 1969, I was hired at the flagship station of Southern Broadcasting (I replaced Ken Lowe who is now VP of Scripps and the originator of HGTV. My weekend and summer vacation stand-in was Rig Dees--my, haven't we all done so well). Anyway, the company was so excited about all the great young talent, they invested in the hottest new microphone--the Neumann U87. At that time, I was registered with Eastman as "Wild Willie Edwards--the original Wild Child." Yes...I was a screamer.
Well guess what...It's tough to scream into a hot condenser mic like the U87. Now, in the production room--it was heaven. I had been doing regional movie trailers ("See Barbarella do her thing....") and you can absolutely finese every word ever so delicatley. However, on the air, with all the processing it's like the mic is fighting you. I could not get used to it. Guess what? I slowed down my pace. I started talking to my audience. Putting lots of emotion into the patter. Oh my goodness--I became a morning personality instead of night-time banshee.
But back to the microphones....wait...let's continue this next time.
Let me hear from you if you have any similar memories.

No comments: