Friday, January 11, 2008

Sound Card or Digital Interface?

Have you ever wondered if the new, higher resolution USB or Firewire interfaces process your audio at higher quality than a high quality sound card? So have I. And I admit to the ignorance of suggesting to my partner NOT to go with a sound card that one of his technicians recommended he use. But I am a dummy, remember.
Now I know plenty of pros that know what they are doing that are using high end soundcards and they sound fantastic.
Our buddy John Weeks invested in a Lynx L22 and wanted to hear the difference to his M-Audio 192 soundcard. So he shared a little test he did.
His vocal chain is: Neumann TLM 103, Manley Voxbox, Soundcard. He's not using any EQ, about a db of compression and about a db of limiting on these.
Hear the test in a .wav file Here....scroll down.

2 comments:

Poppy said...

Interesting test. I liked the m-audio, it seemed to have a brightness that the other card lacked.

Anonymous said...

this testfile made me buying a lynxTwo c. my best buy since years
apart from my gefell m930 microphones. sold my emu 1820m imediately.

tom