Thursday, July 1, 2010

How's Your Headphones?

You may treat your headphones like a favorite pair of old sneakers. They look bad but feel (sound) good. For me, my headphones and sneakers both also smell bad.


There are several new updates to studio headphone choices out and several good articles about tests and reviews. So far, I haven't seen one that relates to exactly what I look for--clean, clear and true sound that doesn't give me a false read on what I am doing.


I am old enough to have experienced "Clevite" or "brush" headphones. Talk about clear signal. They were the best and sometimes the only way to pick up the distorted signals of general radio communications. Broadcast Jockeys realized they were the cleanest way to sort through the narrow frequencies of AM Rock & Roll.


But they were painful to wear! I lost chunks of hair every time I pulled them off. And I am still not sure those piercing high frequencies didn't cause brain damage (although the AM R&R format did the most damage).


Next time, let's talk about KOSS PRO4AAs and how they were responsible for fusing my 5th & 6th vertebrae.  (Have you ever done a break, turned off the mic and felt something warm and wet dripping off your ear?)


Anyway--here's a link to one of the articles:
http://www.proaudioreview.com/article/27920

And another that implies that we need to try headphones before we buy:
http://www.proaudioreview.com/article/29120

Let me hear your experiences.

2 comments:

Jerome Santucci said...

Totally off topic, but there is an audio sample the MXL V89 on New Media Gear: http://www.newmediagear.com/mxl-v89/

vomictest said...

Thanks Jerome. I have followed and spoken with Mark & Laura since the early "Podsqod" days. If you find their old forum and comments pages, you will see that I kidded Mark about "hyper-processing" his test mics for broadcast. Actually, that's what inspired us to use NO processing in our mic test.
Mark does a lot of great tests and I wouldn't miss a one. Newmediagear is a great value for serious audio work. (how does he pay for it all?):)