Saturday, April 12, 2008

Tests to come....

I was wondering if you have gotten your hands on any samples of the ADK A6 or if you have the mic itself. If it's somewhat in-between the Hamburg and the Vienna, then it will be my next purchase.
I'll send you some new samples of the Heil PR40 now that I've gotten it to sound much better. I've stopped using the True P Solo preamp since it induces sibilance and has a rather weak end to it, and I made some substantial tweaks to my computer. I just picked up the ART MPA Gold and put some $30 Tung Sols and JJ/Teslas and I'm very happy with it. It's much cleaner and well defined than I expected and I love that it has variable impedance and HPF. Even running as a starved plate device it sounds good, but I run itat full voltage.
Hope you're well and keep up the great blog and reviews, Lance Blair.


Great to hear from you Lance. I have been jumping through hoops to get an ADK A6 and an S-7 to test head to head. JP Gerrard had a note saying that they (ADK) have been very surprised at reports from some pro studios that have found the S-7 to be the best VO mic in the ADK arsenal. He is surprised in a way because of the 6micron thick diaphragm. It specs with one of the widest dynamic ranges on their chart. Larry Villella expected the A6 to be the "end it all" VO mic because of its clarity. ADK now has a new US distributor and it looks like I might have to try and go through them. Lots of Bureaucracy. I'll keep working on it because like you, I think it would be worthwhile.
I got a note from Bob Heil yesterday discussing the new PR35. He said Joan Biaz asked him to make a hand-held PR30 for stage--so he did. I want to try it for my on-camera interview mic. Bob also will be excited about your new PR40 test. He still says it will blow nearly every dynamic and condenser close to it away. I look forward to your test. Thanks.
VO Mic Test Page

Oh Yeah....I got an email from a rep from a major gear company offering VO Mic Test crew (that's you and me) a special deal on the AKG C414-XLS. Basically, as I understand, he will knock off another $100 off the sale price and throw in a pair of AKG K271 headphones. Email me and I'll send you the contact info. emailme

No comments: