Sunday, February 3, 2008

New Mic Choices Kick it up a Level.

Well, I sort of told you it was coming. Mic companies adapting and changing product and introducing new product to meet new demands.
MXL has released the news about a whole cabinet full of new ideas and directions.
MXL News.
Scroll down and check out those additions to the "Mic Mate" line. I like the looks of the "Mic Mate Pro" with phantom power and headphone monitoring. I already really like what I hear with the V88. Hold-on--They added a new V87 with transformer output, good for narration and more.

Just when I'm convinced that USB might sound great for voiceover--They come out with the USB 009-24 with built-in headphone monitor, mixer and input gain and 24/96 digital resolution. (What else do you need?)

You already know we do a lot of audio for video, particularly Cable TV and web. So, I am particularly interested in those new shotguns. As I understand it, these won't necessarily compete with the Sennheiser MKH416 or simularly priced high-end units, but sound great for everything else. They seem to be in the catagory of models like the Rode NTG-1. I can't wait to hear them. Also, what's up with that FR-200-b. It says it's a stereo, battery powered field recorder. HUH?
As a matter of fact--what's up with all the new stereo mics? If you are using, or think you have use for a stereo mic, let me know.

That's all I have to share about these new products for now. I really hope we get to hear some of these new ideas to see how to best apply them to everybody's needs. Aren't these grand times?
Oh yeah, there's more coming.

No comments: