Thursday, May 29, 2008

"We do These Things 'Cause We Love You"...

THANK YOU!!!

I've spent 45 years in front of microphones, having started at 5,000-watt AM WING in Dayton in 1963. Little did I know, as I talked into the ever-present 77 DX's of those days, that I should have bought a case of them from RCA as my retirement fund! Following my first decade as a DJ, I went to work for voice great Mel Blanc as his studio manager, then on to 30 years as a TV producer and voice artist in New York. Now I teach VO from my home studio in Philadelphia (I am the only private voiceover coach in the entire Philly metro area), and voice audiobooks for AudioRealms.com, plus, of course, spots. So it is safe to say that I've spoken professionally into every popular "announcer" mic of the past 4 decades. (My current primary mic is a Rode NT-1000 condenser.)

However, in all those years, I never, EVER had a chance to hear mics compared head-to-head this way. As you know, we voice artists are always seeking the Holy Grail of mics, and need to hear ANNOUNCER voice samples (not musical instruments) in order to compare apples to apples. Visiting a Guitar Center store is a crude way to compare one or two mics, but of course, does not allow for dozens of shootouts. So I must trell you, this is the greatest site I have ever seen! I found it accidentally while looking for everthing I could find on Cascade ribbon mics. Needless to say, I GREATLY appreciated your shootout. You just saved me 150 bucks! I was getting a bad case of "ribbon mic lust," remembering those glory days of AM radio's big sound. I thought the Fat Head ribbon might do the trick, but now I think I'll hold off.

So this is just a little love note, a bouquet thrown your way, from an old timer in the voice biz. Any time I can be helpful to you in any way, just let me know.

Many, many, MANY thanks!

Best regards,
Chuck McKibben
www.voiceoverisland.com

Chuck,

Thanks so much much. It's alway good to know that "sound" traditions of quality are still in good hands (or voices) like yours.

It is sad to think of the newer generations of voices that didn't get to use the work-horses of the business. On the other hand, isn't it exciting that we old work-horses are getting to use some of the newest microphonic techology in history.

A great story would be to re-introduce some of the great old mics that we used in the past and the various techniques used to get the most out of them.

Again, thanks for your note.
Willie
VO Mic Tests

No comments: