Thursday, November 15, 2007

It's Back!!

Have you ever had one of those moments where you anticipated an event and you really didn't know what to expect....but you were excited about what could happen?
Well it happened, and I looking for words to describe what's going on now. I think "watershed moment" comes to mind. I got the MCA SP-1 back from Audio Upgrades today--a week sooner than expected.
I am writing this just moments after taking it out of the box, (Jim Williams neatly repackages all the parts that came out of the old mic) plugging it in and speaking a few lines into the machine. I did let it warm up a bit.
It is fuller, richer, with better lows and cleaner highs with a full range that sounds a little bumped in the upper low frequencies (or is that the lower mid's). Anyway....it seems suited just for my weak voice.
And it is really clean. Turned it up and let it cook.....very little noise.
Let's recap. Ordered the MXL MCA SP-1 from Pacific Sound, Stage & Lighting for $39.95 (listen to the "stock" test). Sent it to Jim Williams of Audio Upgrades who replaces all the keys parts with higher grade parts. Add $125 plus shipping.
I am going to try and call Jim Williams and get the scoop, the skinny, the what and how. Let me know what questions you want me to ask.
I am also going to try to engage him in preamp theory, especially for voiceover.
You gotta hear this: Mic Test MCA SP-1Modified
MXL SP1, MXL SP-1, MXL sp 1

No comments: